Friday, December 29, 2006

Book progress - new year's resolution

I know it isn't the new year yet, but my New Year's resolution is already on track days before the new year has started.

I just finished "A Talent For War" by Jack McDevitt, and Freakanomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner in the last two days! They will both be reviewed shortly I'm on to the next set of books, all of them borrowed.

I feel that it is the right thing to do to go through the unread books on the shelf in the following order:
1)Library books first (I don't have any of those)
2)Books borrowed from friends
3)Books borrowed from work
4)Books I own

The technical books can be read as I'm reading novels and non-fiction, even though they are actually non-fiction themselves. They somehow FEEL different, even if "Genetic Programming" is as non-fiction as "The Big Bang", they aren't equivalent. I mostly borrow technical books from work, although there is a set of fiction in a sort of "lending library there" that I have dipped into.

Just checking in to give an overview of my progress...

This is my borrowed books and the order I plan to read them in:
“Coraline”, Neil Gaiman
“The Life of Mahatma Gandhi”, Louis Fischer
“What Your Accountant Doesn't Tell You – Tax, Wealth & Equity”, Fiona Clayton-Law
“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time”, Mark Haddon
“The Shining”, Stephen King
“Six Easy Pieces”, Richard Feynman
“The Pleasure of Finding Things Out”, Richard Feynman
“The Amtrak Wars – Book 1: Cloud Warrior”, Patrick Tilley
“The Mosquito Coast”, Paul Theroux

The following technical books (also borrowed) will be mixed in as I go:
“Embedding Perl in HTML with MASON”, Dave Rolsky & Ken Williams
“Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering”, Robert L. Glass

No comments: