Tuesday, June 19, 2007

SoCNoC, the drama!

I know, I know, backup your work. I can't tell you how often I've heard this in the past.

I did back up my work, I did, I did, I did. Unfortunately, I backed up an older copy over my newer copy and lost about two thousand words of my SoCNoC entry. I did it last night and stubbornly stayed up late tonight to correct it. I went from about 31, 000 down to about 29,000 in one stupid mistake. I wrote about 3000 words tonight, not quite catching where I could be, but at least I made my quota (19 * 1667 - the number of words you should have on the 19th to meet your 50k by the end of 30 days).

It isn't just backing up your work, it's about not being stupid about it! Geeze, I've been around computers long enough now, you'd think I'd figure out how to drag and drop.

Still, the worst thing is that my re-written scenes felt awkward and not as good as the ones that I wrote last night.

Anyway. I'm off to bed now (2AM). Bummer of a night.

2 comments:

Maple Kiwi said...

Ouch! I haven't quite done that, but I have on occasion hit 'save' when I should have hit 'save as' and obliterated work that took me hours to do! There's nothing quite like that sinking feeling in your gut when you realise it's gone and you can't get it back - and it's your own stupid fault!
Good luck with the rest of the month - I'm sure you'll get your groove back.

Determinist said...

Thanks for the sympathy Michelle - that's the first time I've lost anything.

I'm usually pretty careful. Anyway - I think I've learned my lesson.